We’re still holding the 34th Annual Denali State Bank Sonot Kkaazoot! But like most races this pandemic-year, it’s in a different kind of format.
And if there’s a wrench to be thrown in the works, might as well throw in two! Work on dismantling the Wendell Street Bridge makes the traditional river route unfeasible. So, this year’s Sonot will be all Birch Hill all the time. And by all the time we mean from Saturday, March 13, and through Sunday, March 28.
Confused? Here’s the details.
- We have three courses outlined for you of 10, 30, and 50 kilometers. (A link to a map is at the bottom of each course description.)
- You can race any or all of the courses starting Saturday, March 13.
- You have until Sunday, March 28, to finish your races.
- On “Sonot Kkaazoot Weekend” – Friday, March 26, through Sunday, March 28 – Sonot Kkaazoot kilometers markers will be put on the courses to help you navigate.
- If you ski all the courses you’ll have skied 90 kilometers, which is the same distance as Sweden’s Vasaloppet!
- Keep track of your time. Submit it along with a brief description of your experience, GPS traces, and/or photos to email@example.com. And remember to tell us whether you did it skate, classic, or skiathlon-style (skate and classic in same race).
- You have until Wednesday night, March 31, to enter your time.
- There is NO formal registration or entry fees. Participants are highly encouraged to make a donation to the Birch Hill Trail Fund at: https://tinyurl.com/y93x7b3n (You can also leave cash or checks in the iron ranger at Birch Hill Recreation Area)
- If you are on Facebook, leave a selfie or other pictures along with your comments at: https://www.facebook.com/events/5486832784675110/ (Note: The FB “event” doesn’t start until March 15 due to FB restrictions.)
- Swag! Everyone who sends in their time will get a 34th Annual Denali State Bank Virtual Sonot Kkaazoot facemask!
- Have fun!
For more information, including course descriptions and maps, see: https://sonotkkaazoot.org/