Fairbanks Junior Nordics 2020 – 2021 Winter Session
What: Youth Cross Country Skiing Lessons
Who: Children Ages 5 to 14 (Age 4 only if accompanied by guardian)
When & Where: *Please make note of the change in start times!
6:00PM Tuesdays at Birch Hill Recreation Area
1:00PM Wednesday at Birch Hill Recreation Area
6:00PM Thursdays at Birch Hill Recreation Area
2:00PM Sundays at Birch Hill Recreation Area
The first week of lessons starts Thursday, Nov. 12 at Birch Hill.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
REGISTRATION OPENS OCTOBER 3RD
The Nordic Ski Club of Fairbanks Board of Directors continues to closely monitor COVID-19 and is taking proactive measures to mitigate the impact of the virus. When it comes to decision-making, our commitment is this: to protect the health and safety of all ski club patrons and the community at large.
Please click here to read our Covid-19 Guidelines for NSCF training activities.
September 20, 2020
Dear Athletes, Parents, and Coaches,
As I am sure that you are aware, the incidence of COVID-19 in our community has been increasing slowly but fairly steadily for the past several months. This past week the 14-day average case rate/100,000 population exceeded 15, the limit the NSCF board formalized over a month ago as the cutoff for group outdoor training. After much discussion and deliberation, the board has decided to continue to offer outdoor group training for three reasons:
Since the time the board first initiated protocols for group training, understanding of COVID-19 spread has progressed to the understanding that the virus is primarily spread through respiratory transmission, which mask wearing and social distancing limit effectively.
For this reason, we believe that strict compliance with our training protocols, which include proper social distancing for athletic activities (10 feet), mandatory use of masks at all times when athletes are not actively exercising, and group sizes limited to no more than 10 participants that are kept intact for the duration of a training period effectively lowers the probability of transmission.
Of all the training and competition opportunities currently being offered by clubs and schools in our community, including football, volleyball, swimming, and cross country running, we believe that the NSCF’s outdoor training program lies at or near the safe end of possible group activities where the likelihood of transmission of the virus is lowest.
The NSCF board fully appreciates the health risks of COVID-19, will continue to carefully monitor the incidence of COVID-19 in our community, and will act to limit training when it feels that the risks outweigh the benefits of our activities. While the club will do what it can to keep participants safe, no activity is without risk; we urge all participants and/or their parents to decide whether the risk is acceptable to them.
If you have questions, concerns or comments please do not hesitate to contact me.
President, NSCF Board of Directors
Dear NSCF Members and Event Participants,
With the confirmation of COVID-19 in Alaska, prevention of further spread is paramount. In an effort to do everything we can to help keep our community safe and help slow the spread of the coronavirus, the NSCF board and staff have decided to cancel the Spring session of Junior Nordics, the Interior Youth Festival, the 2020 Ski for Women, the Sonot Kkaazoot, and all other club-related activities and practices through March 31.
We thank you for your continued patience as we navigate the uncharted territory of the COVID-19 outbreak. We had hoped that the spread of the virus might abate, but clearly it has not. The World Health Organization has officially characterized COVID-19 as a pandemic. Gov. Dunleavy has declared a public health emergency and the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District and University of Alaska have cancelled classes next week.
Please know we did not make this decision lightly. NSCF Staff, volunteers and community sponsors, worked diligently to put together these programs. We know that many of you were looking forward to these events. But, in the end, the health of our members, patrons, staff, and volunteers, as well as our obligation to public health more generally, has to take precedence.
What you need to know:
- The Junior Nordics Spring Session, Interior Youth Festival and Ski for Women are cancelled and will not be rescheduled for the 2019-2020 season. The cancellation of these events comes with financial repercussions for our organization. To help us mitigate the costs, we ask those of you who are financially able to donate your registration fee to the NSCF trail fund, which, unless we hear from you, will happen automatically. If that’s not possible, we will of course refund the fee. To request a refund, please email Rebecca Heaton (email@example.com) before March 25. Given the small staff at NSCF, we ask for your patience as we address refunds and notifications. We will work as quickly as we can to address any issues that arise.
- The Sonot Kkaazoot is cancelled; entry fees will not be refunded, but will be used to defray the sunk costs of the race (grooming to date, bibs, awards, honoraria for the schools responsible for the aid stations, etc.). Race Director Bob Baker is working on a virtual Sonot; if Ft. Wainwright consents and the river remains safe so that Bob can continue to groom, the virtual Sonot will include the original courses. You can anticipate updates from Bob as he works out the plan.
- While FXC practices will not be held, coaches will provide tailored training plans for the FXC athletes for the remainder of the season and work with them remotely on the execution and modification of the plans as needed.
We greatly appreciate your understanding while we work to make these cancellations as smooth as possible for NSCF members and participants.
While we feel it necessary to cancel our events, we encourage you to get outside anyway. There is no reason why you can’t enjoy the best skiing of the year on some of the best trails in the country. So, wash your hands, then get outside and share a selfie on social media to encourage other healthy individuals to get outside and ski!
Thank you again for your support and patience.
The Nordic Ski Club of Fairbanks Board and Staff
2020 Spring Session of Junior Nordics Registration is Open!
Lessons will run for three weeks on Tuesday and Thursday nights beginning Tuesday, March 17th and ending Thursday, April 2nd. All lessons will run 6:30-7:30pm at the Birch Hill Ski Trails. Lessons are $45 for nonmembers and $40 for current NSCF members.
Please join us for a few more weeks of skiing in the sun!
Questions about Junior Nordics? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Many NSCF events are planned for Birch Hill Recreation Area this weekend! Come out for one, two or all of them!
Saturday, February 15:
- Kendall Subaru of Fairbanks Ski Cross: Starts at 11 am. A sprint race with lots of obstacles and turns throughout the course. Race divisions for kindergartners through adult. Registration ends Wednesday, 7pm. If you aren’t racing, it is sure a lot of fun to watch! Read more here.
- Fireside Chat: From 5 to 8 pm in the Cross Country Ski Center. A social evening held to support trail grooming at Birch Hill. Stories about the history of Birch Hill, including the secret luge run! Door prizes! Potluck (please bring a dish to share)!
Sunday, February 16:
- Buetow Dental Distance Series race: Starts at 11 am. Classic style, distances of 10 and 30 kilometers. Registration ends Friday night at midnight. Read more here.
- ConocoPhillips Winter Carnival: Starts at 2 pm. A free event for children with Olympic-themed stations to rotate through. (If your child isn’t a part of Junior Nordics, please arrive at 1:30 pm to sign up.)
Temperatures are cooling down and that means it’s time to sign the kids up for Junior Nordics! Registration is now open for the 2019-2020 Winter session.
Don’t delay! Rates go up in October and space is limited!
To view the class schedule and register,
Its difficult to believe we only have 3 weeks left remaining for the 2018-2019 Winter Jr. Nordic Ski season! Here are the last dates for each session:
- March 3rd – Last Sunday BH Session
- March 4th – Last Monday UAF Session
- March 5th – Last Tuesday BH Session
- March 6th – Last Wednesday BH/UAF Session
- March 7th – Last Thursday BH Session
But wait, there is more!!!! Spring session is now open for registration! Sessions will be held at Birch hill, Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 630-730pm for 6 sessions. Here are the dates and registration link:
March 19, 21, 26, 28 April 2, 4
Temperatures are dropping, the frost is here and that means it’s time to sign up for Junior Nordics! Early registration is open now through October 24th. Late registration includes a $25 late fee and will close Nov. 5th. Don’t wait until the last minute!
Click Here to Register
Questions about Junior Nordics? Contact Sally Endestad, Fairbanks Junior Nordics Director, at email@example.com or (907) 371-9564.
ConocoPhillips Interior Youth Festival
2018 spring ski series
5:30pm Wednesday, March 21: Sprints
100 meter mad dash sprints; all skiers ski heats and finals
Pizza, raffle prizes and awards after all heats
5:30pm Wednesday, March 28: Skicross/ Slush Cup
500-900 meter course; mostly downhill twisty-turny race with bumps, jumps and obstacles
Spring Ski family cook out, door prizes and awards after all heats
All events held at Birch Hill Recreation Area.
Registration is free. All ages welcome.
Entries due by 5pm Monday, March 19
Questions? Email: Pete@peterleonard.net