Trails and Grooming
- Keep the trails relatively smooth during summer. The smoother the trails in summer, the less snow we need to start skiing in winter.
- Keep the trails cleared of fallen trees.
- With the borough, maintain the trail lighting system.
- With the help of volunteers, put up and take down race course marking materials.
We can accomplish this only with your support, so please consider making a trail donation!
- Birch Hill Recreation Area – Site of most of NSCF’s activities, with trails for every ability and technique. Groomed by NSCF. Read more about the Birch Hill Facilities and the Jim Whisenhant Trail System. New for 2017: Check out the Birch Hill Sunnyside Trail Map for the new trail that takes off from the Outhouse Loop Trail in the southwest part of Birch Hill and goes to the base of the Sonot Connector in the Ft. Wainwright ski area.
- UAF West Ridge/Skarland Ski Trails – Part of the historic Skarland ski trail system, trails for every ability and technique. Groomed by UAF.
- Goldstream Sports Ski Trails – One of many local businesses that support Nordic skiing, the company grooms a set of three classic skiing loops on the west end of Goldstream Valley north of Fairbanks.
Skiers in the lower 48 pay substantial fees for day passes and season passes. You can ski at Birch Hill without having to purchase a day pass or a season pass, or wear a ticket on your clothing. However, if the high-quality trail system is to continue to exist, and if the superb grooming we have all come to expect is to go on into the future, those things have to get paid for.
Below are the donation amounts suggested by the NSCF Board of Directors. These donations are based on the actual costs of operating our trails program. A survey of what people pay at commercial and club trail operations in the Lower 48 and Canada where fees are charged confirms that these amounts are typical, or even on the low end, for a ski center the size and quality of Birch Hill. Keep in mind that for most operations outside of Alaska, the ski season is 1/2 to 2/3 the length of a typical Fairbanks ski season. The cost of our grooming operations is a direct function of the length of our season:
- Individual Season Pass / Youth (younger than high school) – $90
- Individual Season Pass / Junior-Student (high school or college student – $150
- Individual Season Pass / Adult – $200
- Couples Season Pass / Adult – $300
- Family Season Pass (includes children through high school) – $400
Sustaining donor levels:
- Tracksetter – $500
- Trailblazer – $1000
As you are making your donation decision, please keep these numbers in mind . . . so that we can keep enjoying the great trails and grooming for which Birch Hill is justifiably renowned.
Please donate today!
Weekly Grooming Plan - Week of 2/7/2021
|Sunday||Spring Grooming, Check the trail report to see what was groom each morning.
|Monday||Spring Grooming, Check the trail report to see what was groom each morning.|
|Tuesday||Spring Grooming, Check the trail report to see what was groom each morning.|
|Wednesday||Spring Grooming, Check the trail report to see what was groom each morning.|
|Thursday||Spring Grooming, Check the trail report to see what was groom each morning.
|Friday||Spring Grooming, Check the trail report to see what was groom each morning.|
|Saturday||Spring Grooming, Check the trail report to see what was groom each morning.|
|Sunday||Spring Grooming, Check the trail report to see what was groom each morning.|
Birch Hill Trail Updates
The Birch Hill Recreation Area trails are now open for foot and cycle traffic. Some portions of some trails have been narrowed with flagging and stakes. A very few portions are marked closed. Please respect these markings as they help protect wet/soft trails. If we...
It’s spring! The snow melts and you want to get out and frolic on the trails! But PLEASE WAIT! With your help we can keep the Birch Hill trails in great shape, but we do NEED your help. Please stay off the trails until they firm up. The snow is melting and the frozen...
THIS IS THE LAST DAY OF GROOMING FOR THE SEASON. Repeat of yesterdays grooming. If you are planning to ski today I would not leave the Stadium, Relay Start or the East and West Ramps. Once the snow is gone please give the trails a week or two to dry out before...
Birch Hill Trail Conditions
|Name||Date Last Groomed||Condition||Skill||Distance|
|Relay Start||04/26/2021||Groomed||Easy||750 meters|
|Tower Loop||04/25/2021||Groomed last time this season||Difficult||2.3 km|
|Old Tower||Easy||250 meters|
|Roller Coaster||More Difficult||900 meters|
|White Bear Access||04/25/2021||Groomed Last time this season||Difficult||900 meters|
|South Tower||Difficult||400 meters|
|Tower Direct||04/26/2021||Groomed||Difficult||150 meters|
|Medivac||Most Difficult||400 meters|
|Green Dot||Easy||300 meters|
|Blue Loop||04/26/2021||Groomed one pass. Last time for the season.||Difficult||1.2 km|
|Outhouse Loop||Difficult||2.5 km|
|Sunnyside & Cliffside||Very Difficult||3.6 km|
|Competition Loop||Most Difficult||1.1 km|
|North Forty (N40)||Most Difficult||2.5 km|
|Black Hole||Most Difficult||2.5 km|
|Tommy Knocker||Difficult||0.2 km|
|Tommy Knocker Extension||Difficult||100 m|
|Black Funk/Black Baron||Difficult||0.25 km|
|White Bear Loops|
|White Bear||04/26/2021||Groomed to Sonot Jct.||Difficult||9.9 km|
|Moilanen Meadows||Difficult||1.5 km|
|North Side Classical||Difficult||6 km|
|White Cub||04/26/2021||Groomed||Easy||1 km|
|South Side Classics|
|Blackhawk & Chinook||Difficult||5.6 km|
|Sonot Connector||Difficult||2 km|