Trails and Grooming
- Keep the trails relatively smooth during summer. The smoother the trails in summer, the less snow we need to start skiing in winter.
- Keep the trails cleared of fallen trees.
- With the borough, maintain the trail lighting system.
- With the help of volunteers, put up and take down race course marking materials.
We can accomplish this only with your support, so please consider making a trail donation!
- Birch Hill Recreation Area – Site of most of NSCF’s activities, with trails for every ability and technique. Groomed by NSCF. Read more about the Birch Hill Facilities and the Jim Whisenhant Trail System. New for 2017: Check out the Birch Hill Sunnyside Trail Map for the new trail that takes off from the Outhouse Loop Trail in the southwest part of Birch Hill and goes to the base of the Sonot Connector in the Ft. Wainwright ski area.
- UAF West Ridge/Skarland Ski Trails – Part of the historic Skarland ski trail system, trails for every ability and technique. Groomed by UAF.
- Goldstream Sports Ski Trails – One of many local businesses that support Nordic skiing, the company grooms a set of three classic skiing loops on the west end of Goldstream Valley north of Fairbanks.
Skiers in the lower 48 pay substantial fees for day passes and season passes. You can ski at Birch Hill without having to purchase a day pass or a season pass, or wear a ticket on your clothing. However, if the high-quality trail system is to continue to exist, and if the superb grooming we have all come to expect is to go on into the future, those things have to get paid for.
Below are the donation amounts suggested by the NSCF Board of Directors. These donations are based on the actual costs of operating our trails program. A survey of what people pay at commercial and club trail operations in the Lower 48 and Canada where fees are charged confirms that these amounts are typical, or even on the low end, for a ski center the size and quality of Birch Hill. Keep in mind that for most operations outside of Alaska, the ski season is 1/2 to 2/3 the length of a typical Fairbanks ski season. The cost of our grooming operations is a direct function of the length of our season:
- Individual Season Pass / Youth (younger than high school) – $90
- Individual Season Pass / Junior-Student (high school or college student – $150
- Individual Season Pass / Adult – $200
- Couples Season Pass / Adult – $300
- Family Season Pass (includes children through high school) – $400
Sustaining donor levels:
- Tracksetter – $500
- Trailblazer – $1000
As you are making your donation decision, please keep these numbers in mind . . . so that we can keep enjoying the great trails and grooming for which Birch Hill is justifiably renowned.
Please donate today!
Weekly Grooming Plan - Week of 1/3/2021
|Sunday||Start @ 2000 - Groom Lighted Loops|
|Tuesday||Groom North and Southside Classic|
|Wednesday||Start @ 2000 Lighted Loops|
|Thursday||Start @ 2000 BLue, Outhouse, Sunny Side.|
|Friday||Starting @ 1930 - Groom White Bear, White Cub, M.M.'s|
|Sunday||Starting @ 2000 - Groom Lighted Loops|
Birch Hill Trail Updates
Sunday night we groomed and set tracks on the Lighted Loops except South Tower. South Tower will be done Tuesday in conjunction with the Blue Loops. Word from the Groomers reports on Birch Hill Recreation Area, which is groomed by the NSCF (with help from your...
The Goldstream Sports New Trail Donor Challenge brought in almost $11,000 to help support trail grooming and maintenance at Birch Hill Recreation Area! The challenge, which started in early December and ran until December 29, inspired Birch Hill trail supporters to...
Night crew groomed and set tracks on the White Bear, Moilanen's Meadows, White Cub, and Sonot Connector.
Birch Hill Trail Conditions
|Name||Date Last Groomed||Condition||Skill||Distance|
|Warm-Up||01/13/2021||Groomed and tracked||Easy||1.5 km|
|Relay Start||01/13/2021||Groomed and tracked||Easy||750 meters|
|Tower Loop||01/13/2021||Groomed and tracked||Difficult||2.3 km|
|Old Tower||01/13/2021||Groomed and tracked||Easy||250 meters|
|Roller Coaster||01/13/2021||Groomed and tracked||More Difficult||900 meters|
|White Bear Access||01/13/2021||Groomed and tracked||Difficult||900 meters|
|South Tower||01/13/2021||Groomed and tracked||Difficult||400 meters|
|Tower Direct||01/13/2021||Groomed and tracked||Difficult||150 meters|
|Medivac||01/13/2021||Groomed and tracked||Most Difficult||400 meters|
|Green Dot||01/13/2021||Groomed and tracked||Easy||300 meters|
|Blue Loop||01/14/2020||Groomed and tracked||Difficult||1.2 km|
|Outhouse Loop||01/14/2020||Groomed and tracked||Difficult||2.5 km|
|Sunnyside & Cliffside||01/14/2020||Groomed and tracked||Very Difficult||3.6 km|
|Competition Loop||01/07/2021||Groomed and tracked||Most Difficult||1.1 km|
|North Forty (N40)||12/31/2020||Groomed and tracked||Most Difficult||2.5 km|
|Black Hole||01/07/2021||Groomed and tracked||Most Difficult||2.5 km|
|Tommy Knocker||01/07/2021||Groomed and tracked||Difficult||0.2 km|
|Tommy Knocker Extension||01/07/2021||Groomed and tracked||Difficult||100 m|
|Black Funk/Black Baron||01/07/2021||Groomed and tracked||Difficult||0.25 km|
|White Bear Loops|
|White Bear||01/08/2021||Groomed and tracked||Difficult||9.9 km|
|Moilanen Meadows||01/08/2021||Groomed and tracked||Difficult||1.5 km|
|North Side Classical||01/12/21||Packed and Tracked||Difficult||6 km|
|White Cub||01/08/2021||Groomed and tracked||Easy||1 km|
|South Side Classics|
|Blackhawk & Chinook||01/12/21||Groomed and Tracked||Difficult||5.6 km|
|Sonot Connector||01/08/2021||Groomed and tracked||Difficult||2 km|